Transfer domain to other registrar is similar to changing your office location to other location and name of company need to transfer to the same location or address. In this situation you need to take permission from government’s related department. When we talk about transfer domain to other registrar we must take care about security of domain. For the security reason you must follow the steps which will help registrar to identify that the domain’s transfer request is from right person, this will stop frauds or wrong domain transfers. So, you always be careful when you transfer domain to other registrar. In this article I will share that how you will transfer domain to other registrar.
Before going to transfer domain to other registrar we must clarify some organizations related to domain name. In above Para I used word registrar. Registrar is the organization or entity which manages domain names and domain related activities. They are not hosting providers
The other entity is hosting providers, hosting providers are those who provide space for host the website as well as they allow to register domain name as well. They are connected to registrar. Hostgator is a hosting provider and they allow domain registration also. They have authorities to manage domain related activities.
The other entity is reseller, the reseller are those who connect with hosting providers, they sell and manage domains and hosting to their clients with help of hosting provider. Hosting provider allows them to manage domain and hosting activities for their clients.
To transfer domain to other registrar you must know these 3 entities related to domain and hosting. If you have purchase domain and hosting from reseller you have to contact from your reseller for transfer domain to other registrar. You cannot transfer domain to other registrar without getting help from your reseller. If you purchased domain and hosting from hosting providers like Godaddy, hostgator, or bluehost then you have to contact directly from them to transfer domain to other registrar.
Transfer Domain Checklist
There are few things you must take care when you are transferring domain to other registrar.
- You must have access to the email address which is stated in whois information, check you whois information See whois information
- Also see whois information, protection must be turned off.
- Domain must be old domain at least 60 days old domain. Means you have been registered your domain before 60 days.
- See also your domain is not expiring within 7 days. The process will interrupt during the transfer domain to other registrar.
- Domain status should be unlocked, you can see in whois detail.
- Get EPP key from your registrar or reseller or hosting providers. EPP key is the authorization key which allows transfer domain to other registrar. Without EPP key you cannot transfer domain to other registrar.
Transfer domain to other registrar
If you have purchase domain from reseller you have to contact them to get the above details for transfer domain to other registrar and need to confirm that the email which is on whois detail is active otherwise ask them to update email id. On that email ID current registrar will send email to get permission to transfer domain to other registrar.
I personally recommend hostgator and bluehost for domain and hosting. If you wish to purchase new domain you can go for hostgator or bluehost. These hosting providers are excellent for wordpress developer. For special discount for hostgator and bluehost you may buy from below links:
If you want to transfer domain to hostgator from Godaddy, you may need to follow these steps:
Transfer domain from Godaddy to hostgator
- Log in into your godaddy account and confirm registered email id. Click on launch button next to the domain. From the menu bar select contact>>contact information and update contact information when new window pop up.
- For cancel your private registration from Godaddy read this article:
- Unlock the domain which you wish to transfer to other registrar. Login into Godaddy account and click launch button next to domain. Place check mark domain which you wish to transfer to other registrar. In the domain menu bar click lock icon the new window pop up then click off.
- You need to get EPP code. From the same domain page go to setting tab, scroll down and locate EPP code, click on email me code.
- Finally submit the domain transfer request o hostgator, fill up the details and pay domain transfer fee.